Saturday, November 29, 2008

I also talk to adults...

As a full-time elementary school assembly presenter, I am freqently asked if I also perform for adults. The answer is almost always "no". I used to, and I loved doing it, but these days my time is so full writing and developing and performing educationally significant assembly programs that I would rather keep focused on my primary purpose (FYI: My goal is to inspire children to read).

However, a few times each year I am asked to speak to groups of performing artists about how I do what I do. We go over not just the basics of creating a great assembly program for elementary age kids, but also about the marketing and management of the business side of things.

I just recently returned from such a speaking engagement in Philadelphia, PA and it was a blast. I got to meet a lot of really dedicated performers from all over the U.S. and Canada.

As I sat relaxing with the family this Thanksgiving it reminded me that I have my own gathering of the minds coming up right after new years. I have people coming from 3 different continents, 5 different countries, and 17 of the United States. They'll be here to learn exactly how to develop, present, and market a show that makes a difference in the lives of their audiences.

Of course, most of them already present great shows. But these are the cream of the crop so to speak. The people at the top in any industry stay there not by luck, but by hard work and constantly seeking improvement.

I'm looking forward to our week together in January. But I've got to get busy getting ready!

No comments: